Tuesday, October 2, 2007

What Can I Say? It's a Passion

So I took some me time tonight. In the fullest semester I think I've ever had, I have not had time (or gas money) to make the trip I love- Barnes and Noble.

Reading and I have quite the relationship. Mom started it by making frog croaks during "Berenstain Bears in the Dark" and it continued through summer reading programs and books mom bought me.

Reading and I hit a rough patch in high school, but by college I had discovered Lawana Blackwell and was back in the game. When I took that semester off from undergrad and waited weeks till I started a job, books were a constant companion.

Sometimes I think God speaks to me through what I read; even fiction. I can see the spines of books and they remind of me of another time in life when I read them. I can get emotional over books. I can also hate them (i.e. certain textbooks).

But tonight I did something that I've needed. I got in the car and went somewhere by myself and ordered the largest white mocha frappachino on the menu and settled into an arm chair. I was there for hours.

God did speak to me tonight and I feel refreshed, more certain of who I am in Him.

Maybe my passion for words is why Psalms is one of my favorite books in the Bible. The way it captures just about every human emotion is fascinating.

Yea, reading isn't just a pastime. It's a passion.

No comments: