Friday, October 5, 2007

Celebrate Truth

I have a memory. I was 10 and about to graduate from the 5th grade. Sitting at the dinner table I asked my dad if I could have a new dress for graduation. He answered yes, as if it was one of the most appropriate things I could have and I was thrilled to go pick out a dress at the store.

Shortly thereafter I found out my grandma would be making my dress. Let's just say I was a little disappointed. There were so many frilly dresses with lace and ribbons and I really wanted one of those.

Then the dress my grandma made arrived.

I looked at it. It was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. It was a light purple, and to this day I am enamoured by purple. I would lay in bed at night and look at that dress in my closest and think about how pretty it was and how I couldn't wait to wear it.

I wore it to my graduation and also wore it to Chuck-E-Cheese because I insisted I wanted to eat there. I remember wanting more dresses just like it and my mom tried to tell me that as I got older dress styles would change.

I was reminded of that story tonight. I'm in Altoona, PA right now, the home of my father's side of the family. Grandma isn't doing so well and tonight we held her hands and touched her face and I realized something.

She is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

I didn't pick up on it for so long. She was just grandma all my life. I loved her, she loved me. Yet, like that dress, I didn't quite expect the beauty that was there. I saw it tonight.

As I watched her in her bed, happy to see us, somewhat coherent as to who we were, I once again realized that apart from Christ there is no point. Seeing a loved one go through the dying process intensified my desire for God because I know where she will be soon. She is here now, but not for long.

Soon she will be with all her brothers and sisters in Christ who went on before her. But most of all, she will be with her Creator.

You know something she said recently? "I have nothing to complain about because Christ suffered so much more."

What faith.

My family and I will join her too. We will see our Creator. We will have no more fear. We will laugh and dance.

Celebrate truth.

4 comments:

L. Tabor said...

Just letting you know I'm praying for you (and your family.)

Kimberly said...

that was beautifully written. just by you talking about her, reminds me of my grandmother who passed away in 1998. she always smiled and lived the life God chose for her to live. she was never once bitter about anything. she LIVED every day like it was her last.

by the way, this is kimberly moore. =)

Terri Stratton said...

Rebecca, I am so sorry to hear of your Grandma's illness, but thrilled to know she is a Christian. Times like this are hard. It sounds like you have as much faith as she does, so we will all rejoice with you in her life and in her death, whenever that may come.

Anonymous said...

Read your blog because it has the same name as mine. Was DELITED! Am a forgotten grandma who loves Christ. Visti me some time at:
www.CelebrateTruth.org
or... www.LoveStew.com
for my blog.
In HIM, N.J.Thornton Author/Artist