Sunday, March 23, 2008

Up From the Grave He Arose!

That is the first line to the chorus of my favorite Easter hymn. I love singing that line because it's so joyful and victorious. Much of the chorus has that determined marching sound. Another favorite is Christ the Lord is Risen Today. I got to sing both of these songs twice today.

Early in the morning my dad and I made our way to the Buies Creek Cementary where Buies Creek First Baptist and Memorial Baptist were having our sunrise service. When I first heard it would be in a cemetary I thought it was a little odd, but then I realized how incredibly logical and amazing it was.

We had a great service as the sun rose and people no longer needed flashlights to read the bulletin. The sounds of the trumpet in the early morning air added to the holiness of the moment.

Afterward we headed to Memorial's fellowship hall for a great breakfast and then my dad and I headed home. While he and mom went to Sunday School, I went back to bed! But I got up in time to go to the 11am worship service where we got to sing my two favorite Easter hymns again.

That afternoon we headed out to eat and then to the movies, followed by a trip to Barnes and Noble (I am my parents' child!). It was so great to spend time with my parents- who even got me an Easter basket! After a brief visit with my grandma, we arrived home and each kind of did our own thing (my mom and I watched a show and learned this technique for controlling emotional eating- very interesting!) and I hung out with Tyffany for a bit and then headed back home.

Last year I spent Easter in Chicago, so it was really great to be back with my home church this year. There was such holiness in the Easter celebrations. I'm incredibly thankful that God sent his Son to die and rise again to save us from our sins. I also love to read the Gospel passages containing the accounts of the ressurection. After doing an exegetical report on Luke's account for my preaching class, it is so neat to compare the different accounts. There's a lot to discuss in those passages.

This Easter was really great and I had a great time with my family.

Christ the Lord is risen indeed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.