Monday, March 10, 2008

Interview Marathon, Lap 3

This time I headed to Baltimore for a meeting on the city's West Side. I must say, the landscape was a bit more intimidating than Chicago's West Side. But then again, Chicago was pretty intimidating the first time I headed out there, so maybe I just have to get used to Baltimore.

The trip up to Maryland was eventful as I took a variety of unexpected turns. After missing my exit, I made an impromptu decision to check out the Stonewall Jackson Shrine I saw a sign for. Discovering it was closed, I continued on. After a few turns and a small gasoline spray from the Nozzle at the Wawa gas station, I continued.

Construction is a big business around DC and they did not slack off while I was away. Upon returning to the area I realized the interstate was a little different than it used to be and before I knew it I had passed the Pentagon, the Washington Monument, and what I think was the Jefferson Memorial and they were all way too close for comfort. I had done it; I had accidentally gone downtown.

I called Tiffany, exclaiming that I did not want to go into the ghetto. I avoided the way to Anacostia as best as possible (by going in whatever direction the signs for Anacostia were not pointing) and with the help of Tiffany and her mom I ended up on the Suitland Parkway and eventually to their house.

Why are you afraid of the ghetto if you were interviewing there, you may ask. Easy answer. I don't mind the ghetto when I intend to be there and I know my way around. However, frantically driving the streets at night was not something I wanted to do.

On the day of my interview I headed out and got a little turned around in Baltimore. Most people get lost in the bad section while looking for the good, but I got lost in the good section while looking for the bad. I passed by Camden Yards twice, but finally got to my destination. I did get a smile on my face as I was trying to get back on the right road and I got to drive on one of the Jetson-like bridges that goes way up in the air. Then I got to do it again on the right road! There's something about all those bridges criss-crossing in the air that makes me want to drive on them.

The meeting was great. It wasn't exactly an interview as they really wanted to see where I could fit in with the ministry. They are looking for someone to work with the youth at the church, particularly to lead Bible studies and teach girls. However, the position might not be in place by the time I graduate.

I had a great time with Tiffany and other friends while I was in Maryland. I even randomly pulled off I-95 on the way back to explore Richmond. Good times.

I am safely back from my interview marathon and am praying God opens and closes doors as he sees fit.

It's been a good journey.

No comments: