Thursday, March 6, 2008

Interview Marathon, Lap 1

I've basically been a student all my life. Sure there were those first four years of my life and then that semester in undergrad that I took off, but I have never been faced with actually having to be out on my own with no return to school scheduled. Since I graduate in May, I figured I should look into the whole career thing. I managed to schedule three interviews in four days. Many things surrounding these occasions were marked with a randomness only I could draw out. Join me as I recollect interview one: Reidsville, NC.

I began my trek and soon realized Mapquest didn't feel the need to put in the last few turns. After stopping at a grocery store, I was directed to the Salvation Army Family Store. I walked in to a scene that can only be described as something from a movie.

The twangy country music of decades past drifted across the old thrift store building as rural customers perused the items for sale. The lady behind the counter looked just as you might expect in such a movie. I wouldn't have been surprised to see two guys in cowboy hats standing in the corner look at cassette tapes.

Click, click, click. The sound of my heels seemed even more apparent as I made my way across the hard floor. I didn't quite fit in with the townsfolk as I was dressed up for an interview. I asked where I might find the person I was looking for and was referred to another worker who offered to take me there himself. Now if southern hospitality is a real thing, I just saw it.

I followed him through town in my car and wound up at the Salvation Army offices. When I saw the Captain (whom I assumed had a military background to earn the title of captain, but he did not) it was like seeing Stonewall Jackson. I am not sure what Stonewall Jackson looked like, but I imagine he had the look of this Salvation Army Captain.

I thought the whole army thing in Salvation Army was just a name or that the organization had at least been modernized. Maybe a little, but not much. The whole uniform and officer ranking seemed a little outside of my field of interest. Yet, as I learned about the job I was applying for I realized it was exactly something I would like to do.

However, there was a problem. After I saw that his wife also sported a Salvation Army uniform I began to wonder how I would relate to youth in a white button down shirt with red straps on the shoulders. I managed to ask in as non-offensive a way as possible whether or not I would be subjected to the official wardrobe. I found out I would not; I felt better.

And then there was another problem: the city of Reidsville. I feel called to urban ministry and urban this was not. It was by far one of the most depressing towns I have ever seen.

Fortunately I had the opportunity to have lunch with a friend in Greensboro, so I could talk to her about the job before I headed back for the rest of the interview. I went to Moe's Southwestern Grill and they like to yell greetings to the customers. As I stood in line and heard repeated yells, I realized it was like getting in trouble every time someone walked in the door.

But there he was, standing before me and ordering a salad in a tortilla shell. He was beautiful and he looked about my age. I figured he must be married since I am in seminary and I am used to the guys who go into seminary, those who have been married by twenty-one. But as he cracked his knuckles I realized there was no ring. In true Rebecca fashion I appeared to ignore him and that was that.

By the time I returned the to Salvation Army (having gotten lost and calling the Captain for directions) I was feeling a little depressed. As many of you know my heart has recently been broken (probably stepped on by a cowboy boot and stabbed by its spur) and I began to see the town in light of this person.

As I drove home I cried. A lot. It was rather pathetic. I prayed, I cried, I listened to my new Beatles 27 number one hits cd.

I love the job description, but I don't love the town. I don't know that I could move there, which is alright because the next day I interviewed for a job that I would love to take. Stay tuned for the next leg of the interview marathon.

No comments: