Friday, March 7, 2008

Interview Marathon, Lap 2

The second leg of my interview marathon was much more interesting than the first. This time I was headed to Wilmington, NC. On my way the pastor called me to tell me they were filming a movie outside of the church and I would have to enter around back. If you see a low budget film about Wilmington's race riots in the 1800s, I was by the set.

Anyhow, I entered Wilmington's historic district and was floored by how beautiful everything was. I planned to do some walking around after the interview, but decided to go ahead and go in.

I was early and the pastor was on the phone, so one of the administrative assistants and I go to talking. Before long we were in the hallway watching some of the actors put rifles in the hallway. Soon they were out and I sat down with the pastor who explained the church's vision for the residency; I was very excited.

Throughout the day I talked one-on-one with most of the staff and was worn out by the end of it. I mean, I really enjoyed getting to know them but I had been traveling on little sleep for the second day in a row all while trying to put my best foot forward. I now think I know how introverts feel. While talking to the Minister of Spiritual Formation we headed over to the activity center and I saw the youth room, otherwise known as The Cove. This was the most amazing youth space I had ever seen as there was a section with multiple flat panel plasma tvs on the wall, each connected to a different game console.

The church recently aquired the old county jail located directly behind them. This space houses social ministries and was defintely a place of interest during my visit. The main building was amazing and the sanctuary was beautiful. One of the buildings used to be an old infantry building and I was totally engrossed in reading the historic documents on the walls. I totally would love to spend the next two years of my life there because the staff is great and I really feel it is a wonderful and healthy congregation to begin post-graduation ministry in. We'll see what God has planned.

I didn't get to walking around Wilmington since I was ready to head home, but I did get to eat lunch a few blocks from the church at a seafood restaurant on the river.

Well, the third leg of my interview marathon was today and I'm rather tired, so I'm gonna keep this one shorter than the last, though by no means was it less interesting. Join me next time as I take a look my interview in inner city Baltimore and my rather interesting travel journey to Maryland.

No comments: