Saturday, December 8, 2007

Pretending to Be Gay?

I've never been a "fan" of Jerry Falwell, but I thought I would give this topic some attention.

Years ago Falwell created quite a stir when he said one of the Teletubbies, a character on a children's television show, was gay. Critics laughed and basically said it's stupid to suggest such a thing, for a fictional character can not be gay.

Fast forward a few years and you get J.K. Rowling, author of the popular "Harry Potter" series, saying her character Dumbledore is gay. People responded with surprise, claiming things such as, "I didn't expect him to be gay!"

Seriously?

I don't care if she created the character. The argument was that a fictional character can't be gay. So why did the world throw stones at Falwell and accept Rowling for doing the same thing?

2 comments:

April said...

insightful thoughts, Rebecca!...makes me think that double standards should be eliminated...

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was scrolling down after leaving my comment about the Raleigh Ringers and I just wanted to leave one more. Because Rowling portrays Dumbledore as a positive influence, unveiling his sexual orientation was done without negative connotations. I never heard Falwell's exact comment concerning the teletubby, but more than likely, it was negative because of his religious beliefs. Therefore, the media ran with Falwell's comment toward sexual neutrality in light of fictious characters. I know what you are saying and it is interesting. I just never heard exactly what Falwell said. Was he insulting? Sarcastic? I'll have to read about it.