Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas and a Car

Christmas was really good. We had a small gathering and for the first time my brother wasn't here, since he was with his fiance's family in Tennessee. However, my family and I had a good time. We opened presents in the morning, had dinner in late afternoon, and after the others left, my parents and I watched some Christmas movies on TV. Late that night we sang Happy Birthday and had cake for my mom. Get this: My mom was born on Christmas and her maiden name is Gabriel. Fun, eh?

And of course there was the Christmas Eve service at my church. For a long time the Christmas Eve service has been one of my favorite parts of Christmas.

Gifts this year were light; nobody spend enormous amounts of money on anyone. And you know what? I like it that way. Buying expensive presents seems like a necessity until you just don't do it.

I am maturing in my understanding of Christmas. I have long since known it's about Jesus Christ's birth, but I've almost always tried to also buy the best gifts I could. Not doing that this year did make a difference in how I saw Christmas, and you know what? It's liberating. I feel that God is thinking, "I know that! I've known that forever! I am all about liberation! If you guys would stop being so materialistic, you'd experience more of that freedom!"

I know this may seem somewhat hypocritical since I just got done talking about simplicity, but my last car died and got junked and I had no transportation. I got a really great deal and bought a car. Nothing fancy, a basic 4-door (manual locks and windows even!) that will get me around. So, yea...my car troubles are over- except for those pesky payments! I now own a silver 2008 Chevy Aveo LS. I am so blessed to be able to have this car- trust me, I know this.

Well, I hope you all had a nice Christmas with family. Feel free to let me know how your Christmas was special.

No comments: