Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Church Directory, Round 2

A few years ago my church published a directory of its members. Was my picture in this publication? No, but my printed contact information in the back was.

I'm kind of funny like that. I felt really awkward about getting my picture by myself, so I just opted out. I was going that route this time around until my pastor asked me point blank if I had made my photo appointment. I tried the standard, "Should I get my picture taken since I'm leaving in May?" graduation excuse, but he assured me I was part of the church family now, so I should be included.

So why the apprehension to put my face on a page? Well, when I look at church directories I always think it's kind of sad to see a bunch of families and then a single person's portrait. I don't mean single, as in not married. I mean single, as in the only person in the picture. It's not a married/single issue, after all.

If my parents went to my church I would have no hesitancy to get our picture made. Though some might argue that a 25-year-old still living in her parental family unit looks odd. So, it's not the fact that I don't have a husband, rather it's the fact that I don't have anyone in the picture with me and I think that looks lonely.

I thought about all that before I even began to think about the process of getting the picture made. After taking photo after photo of families, the photographer will probably have to readjust the zoom to take a picture of just me. I will feel ackward, I'm sure. Not to mention the free 8x10 picture I receive. Trust me, I don't want that.

I just hate looking like I have no one. No cousins, parents, friends, family. I know most people don't even think that when looking at church directories. I know that, as a member of the body of Christ, the church is also my family.

But for some reason, I dislike the idea of a me-only church directory photo.

1 comment:

Terri Stratton said...

Ok....I've taken a poll and I have gathered about 15 of your friends and we will go have our picture made with you.