Tuesday, April 10, 2007

450? Not a Problem

So I was a little anxious over whether or not I would meet my 450 hour internship requirement. So, wanting to calm my anxiety (or find multiple ways of earning more hours) I got to work adding all that work time. Let's just say hours won't be a problem. Add to the fact that I am not counting a lot of work time (for instance, if I got in at 8:15 I just started adding from 8:30....do that a bit and you exclude a good three or four hours) means that I will have even more than required that I don't show.

Now that I know that's taken care of I can focus more on what's been tugging at my heart these past few days...leaving. Maybe it's presumptious for me to call the youth "my kids." But here's the truth that they don't know- I care about them.

Kim, a co-worker, told me that her daughter thinks I am so cool. I don't write that to be like "look at me!" I write that because I really struggled with what I thought was a lack of connection with the kids. I love walking down the street getting greeted by some of the kids that are on the other side of the street. I've really connected with two girls in particular. I didn't realize how much so until they had been gone for spring break and I could see their expressions and attitudes when I got to see them again.

I admitted to Marcie that I didn't think I was good at this whole youth thing. I have my high and low periods, but I don't think I should ever come to a point of saying, "I'm good with these kids, I know all there is to know." This ministry is a constant learning process and I learned from DeVos that one of my spiritual gifts is learning! But seriously, I don't tire of learning.

I think I really want to work in a non-profit urban ministry, but lately I've realized I am earning an MDiv, which is a great commodity for working in a church. I'm considering both options, but I will probably apply to non-profits and then to churches. That said, I have one year of seminary left...so keep me in mind in another 6 months as I begin to seriously start applying for ministry positions. Let me know if you hear of any places that will be looking for people! Ideally I"d like to come back to Chicago, but I'm open to where God wants to send me. And yes, I could see myself in inner city Durham.

My time at Breakthrough has been invaluable. I had considered staying during the summer and getting a full time job and volunteering a few hours a week at the center. Man, I would love that. But I know God is preparing the way for me to be back in NC this summer. I want to come back and visit, who knows. I just know that I feel a yank on my heart when I think of leaving these kids.

No comments: