Saturday, July 5, 2008

A Shift in Focus

So, how I approach theology has changed a bit since divinity school. True, it hasn't been quite two months since I graduated, but I can already see some changes.

For instance, toward the end of my divinity school career I was very concerned with the liberal vs. fundamentalist debate. Terms such as postmodern, moderate, emergent, and other words peeked my interest.

I admit, they still do to some degree, but as I am trying to figure out why God has put me here in this small, rural town, I realize that a good definition of postmodernity does nothing to help the people in that incredibly poor section of town buy food. Arguing liberal vs. fundamentalist theology is not empowering the regular visitors of social services.

I think there is a place for those debates, and I think many people are called to deeply explore them. I believe some people are definitely called to the ministry of questioning and engaging in issues of theology.

Sometimes I feel like I am shallow if I am not engaging in these debates, but that's not the case. When I think of ministry, I think of it as being holistic. Part of that definitely involves deep conversations about theology, but some of that also involves meeting people's needs in simplicity. Sure, I enjoy a good theological debate every now and then, but for me to effectively minister to those I'm now daily encountering, I need to be able to share Christ in layman's terms.

I still think it's very important to understand theology and decide what and why you believe what you do about the Christian faith. At the same time, I am realizing that it's not always necessary to use multi-syllable theological words to share my faith and views. I am learning to share my faith, and my theology, in simpler terms.

Please know, I am not undermining the importance of deep theological study and I respect those who regularly undertake that task. I often do enjoy exploring theology and engaging in theological debate. But I also think there is a time and place for ministry involving more basic conversation. Yes, there are definitely times when my ministry involves exploring deeper theological issues, and I am trying to find a balance.

No comments: