Monday, July 7, 2008

I Vote Repubican...Or Democrat....Or Whoever Will Lower My Taxes

I am frustrated. As many of you may know by now, I resigned from my job. I simply could not meet my bills, especially my student loan payments, on my salary.

Here's what makes me mad: taxes are the reason I have to resign my job.

I guess I was too naive. I was making $25,000 a year. I figured I could count on $2,000 a month because that would total $24,000. I didn't think they would take too much money out of a salary that small. I was wrong. The government is taking about $5,700 a year out of my paycheck. Were they taking out what I anticipated, I would have about $500 a month more and I would not have severe money issues. I would easily be able to pay my bills.

I'm not talking about living more simply so others can receive assistance. I am talking about not being able to keep a low-paying job myself so the government can have my money.

I know the Republican Party is flawed, both parties (and a bunch of smaller, less influential parties) are. Many Republican candidates no longer seem to be about lower taxes and smaller government. But I am going to seek out candidates that do lower taxes, candidates that stand for the traditional values of the Republican Party. However, I agree that sometimes Democrats will do a better job. Regardless of who lowers my taxes, if I am going to follow Jesus' command to care for the poor, I have to be able to keep a job so I have money to give.

2 comments:

Chad Reed said...

well if taxes determine your vote, go ahead and register democrat now...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/11/141710/932/876/534084

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry this happened. I know this was a job that you really believed in and where you wanted to serve. We could debate politics and disagree over what issue is the most important factor to determine where a vote should lie. But my message for you is that I will pray for God to bring a job to you that fulfills His purpose for you and brings joy to your life.