Sunday, June 3, 2007

Who Are They Singing To???

Alright, I'm not big on musicals. You could even say I highly dislike them to the point of being just one notch away from hating them. I know not all of them are the same, but the last few musicals I have seen seem to be lacking in character and plot development. And if a play is supposed to be the audience looking in on something, who on earth are the actors singing to??? (Note: I did enjoy Phantom of the Opera. Musicals do have some redeeming qualities.)

Now, I love theater. I was in theater for many years and love seeing new shows. However, I'd rather have a fully developed character over a singing and dancing one. Before you assume I know nothing about singing and dancing let me say I danced for many years and loved it. As far as singing, you're right....I know almost nothing about it.

But still, I just don't like musicals. At least this last one had some humor (after you sat through plan scandelousness! I think I just invented a word!), and Molly Ringwald. That's right! The star of movies such as "Pretty in Pink" and "The Breakfast Club" was singing and dancing on a Raleigh stage.

The song that I tap danced to in the fourth grade was included in the play. The line at the end, "Hey girls, it's me, Charity!" makes a lot more sense in the context of the entire script.

If I had to choose between musicals and no theater, I would choose musicals. But give me an Agatha Christie novel in script format over Suessical any day. I mean, Suessical didn't even include Hop on Pop! What's that about?

No comments: