Thursday, December 4, 2008

Social Justice and People

I didn't bring extra resources. We both wore the uniform and had the visor. On our break I took her to cash her check and then, yes, we splurged to get coffee. When I interned at non-profits there was a sense of authority in my position, a sense that I had much to give to hurting people.

But there we were, both of us in the same place. In true biblical social justice ministry we must enter into community with those around us. The only extraordinary thing I had to bring to the table was my faith, nothing much in the way of material resources. I'm sure we both had mistakes from the past that landed us there, I know I did.

Not too long after that I worked Black Friday at the bookstore. Droves of people graced our doors and the sales racked up. I scanned item after item for people who spent hundreds of dollars. I began to see why other countries detest us. I rang up all these items I would love to own, but could never afford at the time. As Americans we throw down hundreds of dollars in the name of deserving it and we don't think twice.

And I, I have been a proponent of living simply when I rarely did so. I told people that we must be concerned about poverty as I racked up more debt than anyone I know. What was the harm in paying for gas on credit so I could drive to Cary just to study? Why not use that card again to give myself a cup of Starbucks coffee. Didn't I deserve it?

I didn't live simply. I thought I lived more simply because I didn't buy massive amounts of expensive clothes or eat at fancy resteraunts, but little by little I didn't live simply at all.

So here I sit, massive debt, grasping for a career, and healing from the wounds of misunderstood relationships.

I still choose to believe that God will make a miracle story out of this. That one day these struggles will be part of the past and my life will be a living testimony to how far God brings us when we trust him. I have failed greatly in many areas, but I cling to the belief that God will make something good out of it. He never condoned the sins I've committed, but he has forgiven them.

If I am going to embrace life as an adventure I must stop looking to other people to fulfill me. I fully believe the people God brings our way very much can be part of our fulfillment in life, but if they leave, then I must have a strong enough faith that God is still my ultimate fulfillment.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in investing in people. I believe that it is ok to grieve relationships- whatever the nature of the relationship might be- because if things go wrong and it doesn't hurt, then I wonder how deeply committed we were in the first place. So when I say my ultimate fulfillment comes from God, that is not to say that there isn't a level of fulfillment in people we love.

So yes, in some ways I have failed to act on the social justice that was so important to me. In many ways I have failed to show love to the people closest to me. And, in many ways, I plan to make changes in those areas.

No comments: