Monday, September 1, 2008

I'm Pretty Sure God's There

So, I saw this t-shirt once that tried to make a point. A student's prayer was written on it in which the youth asked God why so many bad things were happening in schools today. God's response was that he wasn't allowed in schools anymore.

At first I thought it was clever, then I thought it was absurd. Most Christians believe God is omnipresent, and yet we talk about him as if we can decide where he can and cannot go.

God not being allowed in schools? I don't think a man-made law can determine that. God is everywhere. It's kind of like when people say, "We're going to make a difference. We're gonna take Christ to [insert geographical/cultural location]." I don't think we take Christ anywhere he already isn't. I'm pretty sure God has been where we are going long before we started fundraising for the trip.

I realize most people don't think of the theological implications of such statements, but maybe that's the problem. Maybe we're a culture of people who don't think things through.

No comments: