Thursday, May 3, 2007

One Year

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." ~Joshua 1:9

These are words God spoke to Joshua, but I also beleive they are words he is speaking to me. Even when I am away from an environment I love, God is still with me. I find myself in this odd place. Who am I in the context of Buies Creek now that I have experienced what I've experienced?

This wasn't my first time living in the urban neighborhood I was ministering with and to, but this is probably the first time I don't doubt my calling. Of course there are the questions of what city, but I don't doubt my calling to a city.

Edward Gilbreath mentioned in his book, Reconciliation Blues, that he had to figure out who he was as a black Christian in a predominately white setting. I didn't get that at first, but I sure do now. Who am I as a Christian called to the urban and living in the rural?

One year. Time has shown how that flies by. I have one year in this environment and then its over. Sure I'll visit, I've got roots here. I'm starting to have roots all over the country.

One year. What amazing things is God going to do with this next period of my life? I look forward to finding out.

No comments: