Sunday, September 21, 2008

Oh, Lifeway

I had a customer ask me if we had any copies of Gospel Today Magazine available in the store. Upon a quick search of our inventory, I told her we did not. She replied that they were most likely bought out from our store, "Probably because of what Lifeway pulled."

Being a Campbell University Divinity School graduate, I had to know more. She continued to explain the basics of what is found in this article.

Gospel Today's current issue features five women ministers on its cover. Many people will realize that Lifeway is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, which does not support women in many church leadership roles. According to the article, Lifeway stores chose to remove the magazines from the main sales floor and opted to keep them behind the counter.

I found this situation interesting. While I may not be as liberal in my theology as past fellow students I have known (and whom I greatly respect), I am still thankful for attending a divinity school that supports women in the ministry.

1 comment:

Chad Reed said...

i don't think that women pastors should be associated with liberalism; rather i think that believing that women shouldn't be allowed to preach should be associated with ignorance and oppression.

check out what my female pastor had to say about the issue:

http://cottonheadconfessions.blogspot.com/2008/09/what-else-will-lifeway-ban.html