Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Seeking God's Will

So the job search I began earlier this school year has culminated in my taking a position with the Salvation Army in a small North Carolina town. I originally went to this interview to "keep my options open." I was still seeking out Chicago and some other big city opportunities, but God surprised me in a big way.

As I was trying to decide on a ministry position, I really wanted to do God's will. That got me thinking because I realized that a main reason I wanted to do God's will was because I knew that would make me happiest. If I am where God wants me and doing what God wants me to do, I will be happier than if I were anywhere else.

So, do I want God's will just so I can be happy? I really had to rethink my motivation and realize that I need to desire God's will because it is serving God, not my own happiness. Of course I can take my own happiness into consideration, but that should be a byproduct, not the main reason for seeking God's will.

I know that I want to honor God and be used by him, but my concern for self so often seems to outweigh that.

So as I begin this new phase of my life- in a small southern town- I'm going to try my best to keep my focus on God, not me. And if I'm completely honest, a lot of the time that's a pretty hard thing to do.

1 comment:

Terri Stratton said...

You will be a blessing wherever God sends you.